Tips on filing insurance claims for home, car damage
Following severe storms that tore through North Georgia Monday, the state insurance commissioner’s office Tuesday morning offered these tips on reporting home or car damage claims:
– Contact your insurance agent immediately. Your agent should provide you with claims forms and arrange for an insurance adjuster to visit your property or look at your automobile.
– Take into account that hail damage to your car is typically covered by the comprehensive/collision portion of car insurance, and hail damage to your home is covered by homeowners insurance.
– Secure your property to protect against more damage, and keep receipts of materials used for repairs. Your insurance company will reimburse you for repair costs.
– Consider that a typical homeowners policy does not cover removal of downed trees unless the tree falls on a covered structure, such as the house.
– Insurance companies will generally allow claims adjusters to write checks for additional living expenses to victims on the spot. Contact your agent for details.
– Decide between getting cash back for covered damage to contents or getting a replacement. Most policies provide an option. Tips on filing insurance claims for home, car damage